Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cowboy Songs (12.1.11) Week 14

HOON’DAWGY! Its time for a little cowboy/sailor themed music. As I sit here writing this blog and listening to the song cowboy/sailor list of classics, quite a few songs strike my interest:

Hank Williams Lost Highway.

Greenland Whale Fisheries.

The Wild Goose

*******Hank Williams: Lonesome Whistle Blow: Anthony sang this!!1

Jilson Setters: The Wild Wagoners: the violin playing is amazing. Amarillo Walt by Skip Gorman also has a great melody.

Skip Gorman “Little Joe The Wrangler Sister Nell”: what does the title even mean? Hahaha. Skip Gordons name of his CD is called “a cowboys wild song to his herd.”

***Lou Killen: “The Black Ball Line”

**Ian Cambell: “Lowlands Low Low”

**Frank Warner: “Jolly Rolling Tar”

BUFFALO GALS!!!! YEEEHHHHHAAAAAA!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!

***Hank Williams “Log Train”

The songs of Skip Gorman are traditional, gritty cowboy songs that I imagine myself singing around a campfire. Gorman was a cowboy himself on a ranch in Wyoming, as a singer, guitarist, and a fiddler. It is said that he sings about the cowboys Celtic, Spanish, and Afro-American roots and how the music was played along the emigrant trails/ cowcamps over a hundred years in the American West.

I will get to Hank Williams in a moment.

But first, while I was listening to songs, one of my friends who studied in England told me about an artist that reminding her of folk song music I was listening to: Kate Rusby and her song “Sir Eglamore.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgidfxhVAFU

No comments:

Post a Comment