Saturday, October 1, 2011

Murder Ballads (9.29.11) Week 6

“Louis Collins took a trip out west,

And when he returned little Delia gone to rest

The angels laid her away.”-Josh Ritter

I love Josh Ritter.

Turn to page 1b? 1, 1a, 1b, 1c. Song supplements and more song supplements. A night of murder ballads is similar whip lash: more songs I am unfamiliar with. But not for long. Who knew that I would fall in love with “Folk Bloodbath” by Josh Ritter? I already downloaded the song from youtube. His voice gives me the chills and the verse “the angels laid her away” is extremely powerful. The “Folk Bloodbath” song is a combination of several classics, such as Stackalee, Duncan and Brady, and Barbara Allen. Just in this version alone, I learned about numerous topics: why do people dress in red in Duncan and Brady (for a funeral perhaps)? Can Stackalee kill a man over a stetson hat? Really? Taking pieces from other classic songs was like an allstar game. Also, once you know the context and the history behind these songs, it gives it a lot more meaning. By the way, who is Clarence Ashley? Who is Bill Monroe? Apparently he would practice catching 55 gallon drums, in order to learn how to play faster musical instruments. Possibly to “outdo” Doc Watson? While I could not tell the difference between a half of a step faster or not, obviously it means a lot to Bill Monroe. Buell Kazees song “Wagoners Lad” was interesting because it was sung by a man who plays a woman part (“I have been a poor girl, my fortune is sad.”). The “Dying Soldier” song was extremely sad, because it was talking about his preparation for death, saying goodbye to his wife, and meeting his wife and children in heaven. How can you say goodbye and sing about it? Lastly, Ralph Stanley’s song “O Death,” is moving: death responds at the end. Death will not spare him another year, but just wants his soul. How about that for a song! He is spilling his soul out in a song, yet it is all for nothing. He wont be spared.

Moving onto a sweeter topic: apples and honey. Plus Katy’s slide show of the cherry orchards and plank flooring in Ohio and Appalachian mountains.

We finished with a review of the artwork for the Banks of Ohio. I liked Chris’s sculpture of the tree roots and human head growing into each other. For feedback, I personally need to draw bigger…..possibly another medium? Color? Where is my next canvas….

Next week we are featuring Barbara Allen. But, for now….I have two words..who kind of stole the show….Josh Ritter.

No comments:

Post a Comment