Thursday, September 22, 2011

O Mary Dont You Weep/ Week 4 (9.15.11)

Singing is therapy. Today was very difficult to digest: tragedy. With the absence of our original and unique song leader, we were grateful to have Anthony Bello substitute. Immediately I recognized Anthony, as he was a GSI for the ED 11A class I took almost a lifetime ago. He even still wore the same blue suits. While Tony was away, he wanted us to carry on and sing these amazing folk songs. Just sing; singing will make sad times seem brighter. Singing "O Mary Dont you weep," was a real treat because so far, it was one of my favorite songs I have sampled to date. Anthony's spin off of the song included a duo with a talented fellow accordion player. He had an amazing voice and great enthusiasm: I specifically enjoyed singing to the song Down on the Banks of the O-hi-o. The majority of the class was dedicated to us speaking about our drawings on the wall and how we interpreted the song. The artwork ranged from a stained glass mural of the virgin Mary, to a charcoal drawing of a child's story time nightmare of Pharoh's army, to Hannah singing an original song. Getting a chance to hear Hannah sing was special, because I could hear the real honesty and harmony in her voice that was so touching. The night ended with Anthony giving us song supplements about several murder ballads, whose lyrics were extremely dark, graphic, and almost frightening:
For example, in Knoxville Girl by the "Louvin Brothers" : "she fell down on her bended knees for mercy did she cry...Oh Willy dear, dont kill me here, I'm unprepared to die...I took her by her golden curls and I drug her round and around..."

However, in Hank Williams song, "Lonesome Whistle," I really enjoyed the lyrics: "I heard the lone-wha-whaah-some whistle blow."

O how music make a dark subject seem light and playful.

For next weeks session: On the Banks of the O-hi-o....cant wait

No comments:

Post a Comment